Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Debt and Spring Penalty

Oy, I haven't been as diligent about posting as I would've liked (I'll try and do better...), so apologies for that. And again, the more questions people submit, the more I'll post!

A common question we've received pertains to the meaning of "Debt Reclamation" and "Spring Penalty" under "Expenditures" on your club page. Debt Reclamation means just that -- you were in debt coming into this year and our policy is to take up to 1/3 of your allocation to pay it off. "Spring Penalty" refers to either a 5% or 10% deduction that your club incurred last spring from one of three things: missing the Annual General Meeting, failing to vote, or submitting the budget allocation packet late.

Even though some clubs are just noticing those deductions now, both of those expenditures were entered (by me) in early October and were in fact visible then.

If ABC debt reclamation has seriously crippled your budget this year, I encourage you to speak to Scott and the rest of the appeals committee.

Coming soon: mid-year ABC update.